Thursday, February 10, 2011

Homemade Crackers

Hey Foodlums-
Since we were talking about home made crackers a few meetings ago, I ended up making them last week (and brought some to the meeting-- for those who were there).
This is the recipe I used. Super easy and so good to have power over the contents of your crackers!
1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 T. sugar (or honey)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. paprika
4 T. butter
1/4 c. water
1/4 t. vanilla
salt for topping

the recipe says to cut the butter in with the dry ingredients until the lumps of butter are pea-sized and then add the rest of the ingredients.
I ended up making a few batches of crackers and tweaking them a little along the way. For one of my batches I substituted some of the butter with olive oil. I also expriemented with different herbs that I rolled into the dough when it was rolled out to the thinness I wanted. My favorite version was dried rosemary (collected from Chris's Graham St. free clinic garden), although ginger chunks were interesting too!
I just rolled the dough out directly onto a greased cookie sheet and cut the rolled-out dough into small triangle pieces pre-baking. Baked the crackers at 400 degrees. This recipe I followed said to let them bake for 5-10 min.. I didn't time them, just watched them carefully. As soon as some of them start to brown, the rest of them brown really quickly, so watch out lest you have a sheet of burnt crackers. I used a metal spatula to get them off the cookie sheet.
Check out the link in the title for the recipe I used online.
Let me know if someone else tries this recipe and finds new ways to tweak the recipe!
-Briana

No comments:

Foodlums Abode